Mathematical Resilience In-Person
Are you an Apprenticeship student struggling with Functional Skills maths? Perhaps a Nursing student feeling slightly anxious about drug calculations? or, for that matter, any student who suffers with maths anxiety? If this sounds like you, this 4 session workshop will help students to consider strategies for breaking the cycle and learn maths more efficiently. There will be no mathematical problems, rather an opportunity for you to discuss maths anxiety, its effects and identify strategies, ideas and solutions for overcoming this problem.
The workshop is seperated into 4 sessions, being:
Week 1: Introduction to Mathematical Resilience
Date: 8 November 2022
Time: 1pm - 2pm
- To explore previous experiences of learning maths – both positive and negative.
- To develop your understanding of maths anxiety and resilience.
- To identify strategies for reducing maths anxiety.
Week 2: Mathematical Resilience: Growth mindset
Date: 15 November 2022
Time: 1pm – 2pm
- To develop your understanding of Growth Mindset.
- To identify strategies to help develop a Growth Mindset.
- To apply this knowledge to overcome maths problems.
Week 3: Mathematical Resilience: Problem solving strategies
Date: 22 November 2022
Time: 1pm – 2pm
- To discuss and identify strategies for overcoming a maths problem.
- To apply this strategy to help overcome a simple maths problem.
Week 4: Games and Puzzles
Date: 29 November 2022
Time: 1pm -2pm
- To trial a range of exploratory maths games and puzzles.
- To identify how to use expressive writing to reduce maths anxiety.
Where will the sessions be held?
All sessions will be held in T2-064 Maple (above Peter Marsh Library). There are stairs at the back of the library or via the lift at the end of Chancellor's Mall.
- Tuesday, November 29th, 2022
- 1:00pm - 2:00pm
- Time Zone:
- UK, Ireland, Lisbon Time (change)
- T2-64 Maple